CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Patriotism

Yesterday as I was driving home from work, traffic stopped at a red light, and as we waited for the green the sound of ambulance sirens were heard. I looked in my rearview and could see, down the block, a flashing ambulance coming toward our intersection. The light turned green, and nobody moved. No one in our three lanes, nor the three lanes of oncoming. The ambulance was able to quickly move through us and continue to the person in need.

It was one of the proudest moments I have had in a while. Not for me, but for everyone who sat there allowing the ambulance to pass. Usually there's at least one or two cars that go on ahead anyway despite the ambulance, but that was the first time I have seen an intersection so completely frozen under a green light. For some reason, this stood out as an act of patriotism. To me, patriotism is about unity and working together for the greater good, willing to sacrifice. And at that moment, I was so proud to be among these fellow Americans. (As you can see my white blood is flowing today)

0 comments:

O Holy Night