CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 27, 2008

President Hinckley

What a shock it was tonight to come home from a very inspiring missionary fireside, and then to suddenly get a message from my sister that President Hinckley had just passed away. President Hinckley was sustained when I was 9 years old, so I don't really remember having any other prophet but him. I really did think he'd kind of just live forever. I grew to love him as I passed through those rocky teenage and adolescent years under his leadership.

I had the opportunity to be in the same room as him many times. I attended many conference sessions over the past 10 years and would spend a good deal of time just looking at the prophet. I attended 2 BYU devotionals at the Marriott Center where President Hinckley was in attendance. I also had the unique experience to be in the Celestial Room of the Timpanogos temple during the dedication (my dad was a bishop in the area at the time) and sat 10 feet away from President Hinckley as he conducted the session that Wednesday afternoon. Even then at 11 years old, I knew he was a special man and could feel the spirit radiating from him.

This is a very sad loss, but in times like this I am reminded of how blessed we are to be part of a church where everything is in its place. There is no confusion about what will happen next. President Monson is our prophet now. The church will go on. We have lost a great man, but we have not lost truth. For this I am grateful.

0 comments:

O Holy Night